Sunday, October 24, 2004

Day 8 Galapagos Wrap-up

Diane: The Galapagos began as barren volcanic islands. Because the islands were never connected to the mainland, the ancestors of all species now present must have crossed about 600 miles of open seas. When the original plant and animal colonizers arrived, they would have found no large predators to fear and a harsh environment in which to survive and reproduce. Those that were successful adapted genetically over millions of generations. And thus, the archipelago ended up with many fearless, endemic species.


For me, this was a unique and memorable present from the universe. Had it been ecologically helpful and generally respectful, I could have taken advantage of this fearlessness by playing catch with sea lions, swinging marine iguanas around by their tails, and digging up last season’s sea turtle eggs. I had no such desires, but that’s how calm many of these animals were in our presence.


The theory of evolution explains, in large part, why blue-footed boobies developed here and why I could stand right next to one as it built a nest or fed its young. However the oldest islands are a mere 4 million years old, which according to biologists is not old enough to support the quantity and variety of evolutionary adaptations found here. Recently, a series of 9 million year old, sinking island remnants were found to the south and east of the Galapagos. Now the experts are happy.


We think we know so much. But usually in the end, our analysis is sloppy, our evidence incomplete, and our final conclusions full of unwitting, but inherent, biases. Yet proposing, proving, and disproving theories is such an engaging challenge. Who’s going to stop theorizing, even if most theories end up in the dustbin?


What a wonderful experience. Thank you so much Mom and Dad! Not only am I sad about leaving today, but I feel that I missed out on some theories, sights, and adventures. There are underwater island remnants I did not see. There are islands we did not visit and endemic species I missed entirely. Additionally, the formation of new islands is an ongoing process; over 50 volcanic eruptions have been recorded since 1535. And to top it all off, we were luxuriously pampered on our cruise ship. Hasta luego to all the crew and guides. I can’t wait to come back!


















Maybe next time, I’ll write about the elegant dining on board, the incredibly courteous and friendly cruise staff, our family’s good manners and polite dinner conversation (not), the hot soothing post-snorkel showers, the first song lyrics that Calliope and I wrote in Spanish, and more on Maria’s candid opinions about Latin American culture. And as soon as I get pictures from my Mom, I’ll put in more pictures of all of us.


No comments: